This solution describes installation of IIS 7 (Internet Information Services) on Windows 7 Ultimate, Vista using the Windows Features Wizard. An alternative to this solution is to use Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI). It is available at http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx. The Microsoft Web Platform Installer 2.0 (Web PI) is a free tool that makes it simple to download, install and keep up-to-date with the latest components of the Microsoft Web Platform, including Internet Information Services (IIS), SQL Server Express, .NET Framework and Visual Web Developer. In addition, install popular open source ASP.NET and PHP web apps with the Web PI (description taken from the Microsoft web site).
The steps required to do that are:
- Open Windows Control Panel with Start -> Control Panel
- In Control Panel select Programs
- In Programs and Features category select Turn Windows Features on or off
- In the Windows Features window select Internet Information Services. If you select the Internet Information Services category only some default features will be installed. To install or to check all or additional IIS options you need to expand the sub-categories and to check each non-default feature.
- After required features have been selected click OK to start the installation
- After the installation you can check if IIS is running by opening Internet Explorer web browser and entering the address http://localhost in the URL bar
- If everything is ok, you can see the IIS 7 welcome page
- In order to configure the IIS server you must open the IIS Manager from Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools